Sunday, March 16, 2014

Our Third Day in Tanzania


On Wednesday we divided into two different groups again and had a 20-minute drive to another Child Development Center.  When we hopped off the bus, we each had two children that took our hands and walked us into the chapel.  The pastor welcomed us and told us about how they help the children at the program.  Then the two 6th graders holding my hands, Amelia and Naemma, walked me to where we could wash our hands so we could have a snack with tea.  The soap was in a powder form and the water came from a little bucket.  The snack was a couple fritters (2 different types of donuts), an egg, fruit, and chai tea.  I dipped the fritter into the sweet tea and it was delicious.  When we were done eating our snack, the children sang and danced for us.  I soon found myself walking up to the stage and dancing with them, like most of the people on our team did.  Amelia and Naemma were very happy that I did that.  They even thanked me! 
            The home of the sponsored child that we visited that day had four generations of family there.  There were two toddlers and two girls my age.  The grandpa in the house explained to us that he is the oldest man in their town at age 91.  We asked them questions about what they do around the house, what they cook, and what they think about America.  When someone in our group asked about what they think of America, a woman replied, “When I think of America, I think of white people and rich people.”  She didn’t believe us when we told her that there is poverty in America.  It’s interesting how Africans view Americans.  The mother asked us to leave before we could explain the diversity in America.  I think she was getting a little overwhelmed with all of our questions.  But someone from Tanzania also explained that visitations are a huge part of the culture here so they are much more comfortable telling people when a visit has ended.  The whole time I was at the house, though, there were a few adorable kids peeking at me from outside.  One of the girls had the sweetest smile!  I couldn’t help but wave back at them almost the whole time.
            Before we hopped on the bus to go back to the hotel, the children put wooden cross necklaces on us.  They were so beautiful!  It’s so humbling how even though these people live in poverty and have nothing, they want to serve and give.  They truly have the hearts of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment