Monday, March 17, 2014

Our Sixth Day in Tanzania




So, before we went on this trip, we were told that we would be putting on a VBS (Vacation Bible School) for the children.  The whole VBS is supposed to be based on the idea of turning “ordinary into extraordinary.”  We used the analogy of a caterpillar (Hermie in this case) turning into a butterfly.  On Saturday we went to the center that the VBS was at.  I decided to be in the Bible lessons/skits group where we acted out the story of Hermie.  Basically, Hermie was a common caterpillar and wanted to be like other bugs that have special gifts.  He asked God why He made him so common and God kept telling him, “I love you just the way you are, but I am not finished with you yet.”  In the end Hermie turned into a beautiful butterfly and realized that God wasn’t finished with him yet.  For the play, the team wanted me to be Hermie.  The skit went really well and the kids enjoyed it very much.

As soon as we were done performing the skits, it was time to go back to the chapel.  Many girls rushed up to hold my hands. As you can tell, this happened a lot, but I never really got tired or annoyed by it.  I felt so loved to have kids include me right away like that. 

In the chapel the children from the choir sang and danced for us.  This was the best singing and dancing so far.  The boys especially danced their hearts out!

When it was time to go, I shook hands with as many people as possible.  This was my last Child Development Center, so I was a little sad.  Riding in the bus, I thought what a wonderful experience this has been and how blessed I am to have such an amazing opportunity.  But only after about 30 seconds, the bus stopped.  I found out that we were stuck in the mud.  A few of the men had to help push us out.  I felt bad for them, though, because they got so dirty! 

I heard that our next hotel was going to be a tented hotel.  I had never heard of tented hotel before, but I assumed it would be pretty rough.  However, this was not the case.  This was the most beautiful hotel yet!  In the U.S., they call it "glamping."  As we were driving in, there were zebras, warthogs, and exotic birds everywhere.  The hotel rooms looked like big, nice huts with tent material for some of the walls.  We went to the pool where we could see the gorgeous sunset and wildlife out in the distance.  After staying in a small, rugged hotel for four nights, this was a big treat for us.  Hallelujah!!! 




 

       (Our wonderful tented hotel)





No comments:

Post a Comment