Monday, March 17, 2014

Our Seventh Day in Tanzania

Sunday was a safari day!  I saw many safari jeeps pull up in the hotel driveway as we were about to leave.  We drove through Tarangire National Park and saw many different kinds of animals (ones that are not usually in the U.S.).  We saw animals like zebras, gazelles, impalas, giraffes, (female) lions, elephants, and beautiful blue/turquoise birds. 
My tennis coach actually told me before the trip, “Don’t get eaten by a hippo!”  Well, I didn’t get eaten by a hippo today, but I almost got charged by an elephant!  We were driving in our little jeep as an elephant started to cross the road.  We stopped the jeep to let him pass, but he just stayed there in the road and stared at us.  He was literally about 10 feet away from us.  My heart was pounding.  Apparently elephants don’t have good eyesight, so this elephant tried to smell and listen to us.  He stuck his trunk so close to the vehicle!  Everyone on the bus was terrified.  Then he started flapping his ears and stepping toward us (a sign of aggression).  My mom nervously asked the driver, “So…. what do we do in a situation like this?”  He whispered, “Stay absolutely quiet.”  From there on the bus was dead silent.  Eventually the elephant wandered off, but I think that was one of the most terrifying moments of my life! 

When we went to have a lunch break, we stopped at a little picnic area.  That’s where the monkeys were.  I got so close the monkeys - maybe about 3 feet away.  While I was videotaping a monkey, I heard screams over to my left.  I quickly turned to see that a monkey had just stolen someone’s food from their lunch box.  I ran over there and found that there were little monkeys everywhere!  In Tanzania, they’re considered pests since they steal everything.  I had a good time watching them steal bananas, yogurt, and other food items.  Except, I was kind of nervous that one of them would take my phone out of my hand!

When we were done with the amazing safari, we drove back to the first hotel we stayed at.  (Had my first warm shower!)  The leader of the trip advised us on what it is going to be like the next day, when we get to meet our sponsored child.  I am super excited, but a little nervous as well.  Will Zulpha (my sponsored child) like me?  Is she shy or outgoing?  I don’t know much about her; I don’t even know if she has parents or siblings.  Most of her letters talk about school or what she bought with what we sent her.  Please be praying that it will go well!

Naughty monkeys!


                      Our safari jeep


2 comments:

  1. So, so fun to read about your experiences. I just read through all of your days. I love seeing your pictures, and so much about your experience takes me back. I can't wait to see more pictures, videos and hear your stories when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Emma! I just read every day of your trip blog. What an adventure you had! I must say that you are a very good writer as well. You really brought to life the moments. I love the pictures of you with all those radiant happy faces of the kids. It sounds like your trip was a blessing to you all as well as to those you visited. God is great!

    ReplyDelete